Saturday:) Sipping Margaritas and Strolling the Square

27 Dec

“It was as if each of them sensed vaguely that the Saturday afternoons of youth are few, and precious, and this feeling which neither of them could have defined or described made every moment of this time together too short, too quickly gone, yet clearer and more sharply edged than any other.” ― Grace Metalious


It’s funny how feeling happy, comfortable, and content effects how well you sleep at night. I very rarely manage to get more than five or six hours of uninterrupted sleep max. I’m still pretty much a night owl, and didn’t fall asleep until 2:30 a.m. this morning. To my delight, when I looked at my phone to check the time when I woke up, it was 10:50! Whoa! Eight hours! I can’t remember the last time I slept eight hours. I know it was because my son, Matt, is here visiting for a few days, and he was upstairs sleeping in his room. We had no plans, no agenda, just maybe stroll on the square and find a place for Mexican food for dinner. 

We headed over to the square around 1 p.m. with a quick stop at Fire Station #1 with some cookies for the guys. 

Station #1 is also a museum with an old time fire truck and other historical McKinney memorabilia.

Poor Matt, I dragged him all around town, popping in to say hello to shop owners and friends. I stopped in with some cookies for Dana and Judy over at Art on the Veranda. We said hi to Jen in her hat shop, and visited with Miss Sue at the visitors center. 

The next stop was the North Texas History Center just east of the square. 

Downstairs they had a Viet Nam historical exhibit. Very interesting photos and information.

The wind was blustery, but it was a balmy 77 degrees, with an occasional drizzle, then the indecisive sun bursting through. 

Matt and I hadn’t eaten all day, so the next stop was the Blue Goose Cantina. I announced to Matt that he would be driving home because I was going to have a margarita. We ordered queso and chips, I had my chicken fajitas, Matt his cheese enchiladas, (vegetarian) and we each had a margarita. It was delicious and I thought I was going to explode or implode, or both. 

When we returned home, I put on my gym shoes and attempted a walk. I only managed fifteen minutes in a light drizzle before the rain pelted down, so I scurried home. 

Now, the tornado warnings and flash flood warnings have been screeching on my phone and flashing on the television. But, we are safe, I have my son here, and life is good.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: