Thursday:) Going Back Home & Back In The Saddle

3 Jan

“When coming back, we may notice we have changed because others haven’t.”

― lauren klarfeld


Yikes! The alarm went off at 4:15 am, but I was already awake. I had a 7:30 flight from Chicago to Dallas. Time to go home after a month visiting with family and friends. I sure will miss everyone, especially the grandchildren. My sister was kind enough to endure the early morning adventure to drive me. Would you believe the roads were already busy at 5:15 and the airport was jammed at 6? Yep!

The line through security was long and winding. By the time I got to the bins to take off my shoes, coat, etc., I was tired from all that standing. What a nice surprise, when I grabbed the big gray plastic bin and found a lucky penny right on the floor below my feet. I went through the scanning machine thingy, and waited for my bins to roll down. When I got my final items, there was another lucky penny under my bin. What are the chances? I think this one was a foreign coin. I knew that the two lucky coins would make for good travels. I was right.

The flight was packed and they were offering vouchers to give up your seat. “Nope!” They did offer to check carry on bags for free because it was full, so I took advantage of bag check because I was the last group, 9, to board, and usually no room left for overhead bags.

Our flight had about twenty or more young military men and women. I made sure to shake each hand and thank them for their service.

When I got to my seat, 27E, a middle seat, there was a couple sitting in D and E, window and middle. They asked if I wouldn’t mind taking the aisle seat so they could sit together. Awesome! Those seats are primo and more expensive. This very nice couple, Marsha and Michael, were traveling on to Guatemala later on a mission trip with CERT. Christian Emergency Relief Team. He a doctor and she a nurse. Marsha asked if I wouldn’t mind praying for their mission trip. Of course.

Perfectly smooth flight. I watched the movie, “A Dogs Life,” to pass the time. Our flight arrived a little early, and my checked bag was there in the carousel. I said farewell and safe journeys to the nice couple.

On my way out to meet Lynne at the curb, I passed right by the airport chapel. Another sign. I popped in to say a prayer for Marsha and Michael, and for family and friends, of course. No one was there for a few minutes, then a young man came in and spread his prayer rug on the floor. I thought, how nice that people of different faiths could say their prayers together.

Lynne pulled up to the curb around 10:30 just as I walked out. Perfect timing. It was nice to catch up on the ride home. Then, we stopped at Panera for lunch. Karen surprised me and joined us a few minutes later. We ended up talking and catching up for over two hours.

When I arrived home, it was so nice to get my key out and step into my home that I haven’t seen in a month. A perfect day so far. I put down my purse and bag inside the door then heard, “chirp, chirp, chirp. Low battery.” Darn, one of the upstairs smoke detectors was chirping. I didn’t even take off my jacket, went up, pulled the ladder out of the walk in attic, and attempted to change the battery. It took several attempts and one blaring rendition of, “Warning! Fire! Warning! Fire!,” before I got the battery replaced properly.

I was going to take a walk, but decided to call my sister instead, then relax a little before a shower and getting ready for karaoke. I was looking forward to seeing my old friends at Delaney’s, and singing and dancing and laughing. It was the perfect end to a perfect day. I had a blast.

Miss Loretta and I sang “My Guy” to our guy and good friend, Doug. Great day, great friends, great to be home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: